1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
1/4 cup finely chopped onions
1/4 cup ketchup
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 slices bacon
1 1/4 cups water
3 tablespoons margarine or butter
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt (I use garlic powder though, and extra of it)
3/4 cup milk (skim is fine)
2 cups instant mashed potatoes (or use leftover mashed potatoes or make real ones - that's what I always do)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided in half
1 medium tomato, chopped
2 green onions, sliced (or you can use white onion), if desired
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Combine ground beef, breadcrumbs, onion, ketchup, mustard and salt and mix well.
3. Press hamburger mixture in bottom and up sides of an ungreased 9 inch pie pan to cover completely. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
4. While meat mixture is baking, cook bacon until crisp.
5. Drain on paper towel, cool, and crumble.
6. Discard bacon drippings or save for another recipe.
7. In a medium sauce pan, combine water, margarine and garlic salt. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add milk. With a fork, stir in potato flakes. (I usually just make real mashed potatoes or use leftover ones, then add the cheddar cheese and garlic powder.)
8. Then stir in 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese.
9. Remove partially baked beef crust from oven; pour off any fat.
10. Spoon potato mixture into crust evenly.
11. Return to oven for another 10-15 minutes or until meat is thoroughly cooked, and potatoes are heated through.
12. Remove pie from oven. Top with tomato, remaining cheese and crumbled bacon.
13. Return to oven, and bake for 5 minutes longer, until cheese is melted.
14. Remove from oven, top with green onions. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.